Pages

Friday, June 21, 2019

Our House - Adventures.

Each room in our so called haunted house, brings back loads of memories. Our pattima (dad's mom's sister) lived with us. Once it was raining and mom took the clothes hanging outside into the house...A snake must have been on the saree, that it fell down. Scared, it may enter the rooms, where we children are, she closed the door. There was no power as well. With all the commotion, we thought it was a thief who entered in. The family residing upstairs, came down too. We opened some doors, which we had permanently closed. Legend says, that one of my brother hid under the cot. Without power, it was difficult to spot the snake. But they found it near the calendar bundles and I think they killed it? My memory is very thin here. Not sure, if it had bitten my pattima, or amma on the big toe.. or was it another story?

I have seen 2 big snakes dancing standing intertwined in the garbage area ( corner of our home). There had been scorpion visits too. When it rains, all these seem to find its way to our house.

I used to walk from the main road to our home every evening. Earlier I used to stay at Ranjan house till my brother brought me in. I remember being stranded in front of our big gate. Tiger the dog, was jumping up and down on the other side. I stood scared for a long time outside.

Tiger was a cross of Alsation. It was purely white. Once a deer had stood near the MCC compound wall and our Tiger had snatched it and brought it in. It was a small deer. It had caught him by his neck and was bleeding. We somehow rescued the deer but he was bleeding and it stopped. The folks upstairs took it away. Don't know where.

I remember me and praveen burying a toad. I guess prem had dissected it, to see the parts and then stitched it back. He had put it in water, to see if it will survive, sadly it didnt. So I guess Praveen decided to give the toad a decent funeral. We put it in a box, burried it and covered it with a plastic glass, mud on it, and a stick cross and a wreath made of grass. No one was crying, so he hit me and I cried. Some tears for the toad! haha..

FOnd memories of pattima, drying her hair-saying 'velavula' The famous world war 3, that occurs often thanks to me, between my eldest and youngest elder brothers. I was a cry baby, and Praveen often pulled my hair or legs and I would cry.. which infuriated my elder brother Prabhu,and they would fight so madly. I remember once, mom was so furious, she locked prabhu in the center room, because the fight was getting out of hand. He was furious for more than an hour, and then we heard him tearing books, papers. We went from the bedroom, to the corridor, to peak into what prabhu was doing. HE was tearing Praveen's school books( the cover alone) sitting there and sulking. We waited even more, till Prabhu got bored and went back to his room. The books were in a mess!

Prabhu used to help me with all the book covering and labelling. He was my album artist for all and every school work. He used to write beautifully. I learnt lot from him.
Praveen had lot of little cars, that he used to play with. Vroom vroom went the cars, up and down the hills( makeshift bedsheets, pillows and stuffs). I had my baby dolls with me near my pillow.

No comments: