Pages

Monday, April 6, 2020

Sunder Raj

We were talking about fasting, and I suddenly remembered one of Dad's friend, who passed on to heaven, while fasting. I was very little, when I met him. He had a long beard. He wore vaeti. Two things, that's not easy to forget.  

He worked as a RTO officer, and later got a Tahsildar promotion. He had also been to an Island in Atlantic Ocean for 3 years. Dad usually accompanies him for the fast. But this time, he wanted to go alone. He told his only son Jacob, not to bother checking on him every week.  Being in RTO office, he had access to many places. He went to a hill near Vellore. He had been on a 21 day fast.  This time, he refused to have even water . 

His son, a school manager, went to check on him on the 12th day. He found him in bed, peacefully rested. He found blood marks on both his armpits. He had entered heaven on the 10th day. What a glorious way to go to heaven. 

He had 3 daughters. Once when he visited us, my brother, had kept asking my dad something. Uncle interrupted and asked my brother, what he wanted. My brother had said, I want a cycle. He told him, to go to the corner, kneel down, and pray to Jesus for a cycle. Immediately my brother had run to the corner to pray aloud. Shortly, uncle left and returned back after some time with a brand new cycle!

He also had talked to my mother  and asked, how long was her service. Mom had 18 years. He had then told her that there is a policy, by which, you are eligible for pension, if you have 20 years of service. So he said, I will get everything ready, you work just for 2 more years. Dad had not known then, but my mom later had insisted and the application was filled, and mom got a teaching job in Bentinck Hr Sec School. The rest is history as they say! 
  

No comments: