Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Special Day!


My mom used to laugh at all the hype I created even 1 month before my birthday.  I must have been 6 or 7 year old then, our milkman, postman, vegetable vendor, housemaid everyone got to know that it was my bday on Aug 2nd.  Dad being in ministry, always had lot of visitors at home.  My excitement was overwhelming, that I was telling everyone that my bday was coming soon. When they exclaimed that it was still June or July,  and I always replied, that it was soon going to be August! Being the youngest and pampered, I guess I have always been like that, even after growing up so big.  My mom always wondered what hype I would create for my wedding!  She felt I was too excited for my birthday, as if it was a great big wedding celebration!

I am not sure, if I wanted to grow older or taller…. Not that we got gifts for birthdays. It was the usual big hug from my mom, and real good kiss.  If dad was there, I got it from him too. Apart from that, mom got me a frock ( 1 of the 4 new dresses I got every year- Other being for Christmas, Newyear and Easter). I don’t remember getting any toys for Bday.  It was never a big celebration either, but we always had the brown cake to cut and the birthday song sang [ Mom sings 4 stanzas] and a nice prayer. But the excitement never ended that day, coz my dad’s birthday was on August 3rd.  Most of the time,  our birthdays were clubbed together, as dad often was out of town.

Today is one such special day! I feel really embarrassed and ashamed, coz I have such a bad memory, that I can’t really remember any dates and associate them with my friends’, family’s bday.  Not one.  But yet, they remember me on my birthday, and make me feel so special. I do try to remember and invariably forget it soon enough.  I feel really blessed, honored and humbled by their love and affection and am so thankful to God,  for all the friends and family I have, who make this special every year.

My brother sent me this beautiful birthday message. "The Shepherd created you extra special, and we're so glad he did!  Happy Birthday! "
'The Lord your God has chosen you .... to be his own special treasure' Deuteronomy 14:2 .

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart;  I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. 2 I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High. Psalms 9:1,2

1 comment:

Michel H Ashton said...

Good one ! for me it has always been brown cake , i do not recollect balloons , loud prayer from my grandma in the praying hands pose, home cooked food by my mom , nothing specific about gifts.

Years later it i think those days where the best.