Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Amy

They placed her on my now deflated belly. She was wriggling extending her legs and hands.  I was numb.It had been quite a night.
The day had started with the new year! Sathish was worried, if I can make it to church. I was game. We walked to church. Good exercise. Meeting friends at church only worried me. 'EDD 1st Jan, and you are here?' Walking back home was tiring. My back started to ache. My sis in law was at her dad's place. My aunt was at her son's place. I din't want to scare them. After all it was a dull ache.. Through it, I slept through after lunch.
Evening was action packed. I started getting the contraction every 5 mins. I called the hospital, they told me to come in.  Lil Adah fell and cut her skin on top of her right eye. We were so pre-occupied with things, that nobody thought I had enought pain to deliver the same day.  I insisted, and we took our hospital bag, and headed there at 10.30 PM ( 1st Jan).
The fetal heart rate and mine were normal, so after check up, enema, they induced me. Boy, it was so bad. I can't explain that. Your stomach tightens, your back aches, and they tell you to push!  The frequency hightens every minute, and I kept screaming, that I can't take it anymore. I started wishing, why I can't let the baby stay in my belly. It was no harm. Infact I felt quite comfortable carrying the baby around. But this pain to get out, was just not right!
 When the contraction subsides, I keep saying the verses, remember Mary during the Christmas night, the pain on the Cross. But oh, when the contraction starts, I can only yell! I kept saying, Lord, it is not the doctors, who take the baby out, but as in Psalms 22:9, you take it out!
The labor ward was even more weird. They told me to get on the bed, and I jump in - crazy with the pain.My jump causes the IV to break and I am wet with the IV fluid dripping on me. The nurses get upset, and by the time doctor comes in , we are all ready for the baby!
The doctor kept saying, I was doing great.. did I? I am not sure.. They told me not to scream or yell and to save my energy. I was ready to  get out of there.. Oh, why can't they leave me and my baby! I could see the doctor holding an injection, she was ready to do an episitomy.  I wished I had a zip, to open my belly to take the baby out.. And after some excruciating pushes, and the nurses pressing my belly so hard, the baby was out.. It's a baby girl, the doc said, and placed her on my now deflated belly.  I was just ready to get out of there.. The baby was thin, pale, and moving her legs and hands.

I am told that, that when the doctor took her out to Sathish, my dad, aunt and brother, she was wide awake, blinked and opened her eyes to see everyone! Oh, thank you Lord for bringing her out :)

We named her Amy- after the missionary Amy Carmichael, and my mother Amirtha.  She has real long fingers,  toes, long hands and legs! :)

No comments: